« Home | The Word and Spirit » | I had a good day today. » | every day is a one act play... » | Now Broadcasting from... » | Common to the Human Experience. » | Hi, I'm a PC. And I'm a Jackass! » | Attention crazy dems and liberals » | Changes afoot » | (I didn't study...) » | The most depressing song I've ever heard... » 

18 August 2007 

The Trumpet Child Awakes

I arrived home from work last night to find a very pleasant surprise...

The Trumpet Child, Over the Rhine's newest CD, showing up nearly an entire week before the release date. It was a really great surprise, and although I've been listening to the CD for a few weeks already via a recording of the world premier they did on the radio in early July, there's just something about having that CD in hand. I think it's times like these that I understand our parent's generation's love of records.

The CD is very good, a departure of sorts for them, much shorter than Ohio or Drunkard's Prayer, much more upbeat than any of the older ones... this CD just feels.... fun. Seems like the approached it with a very upbeat attitude and the fun come through. There's also some more instrumental sections, some very good Jazz riffs, and whole CD has this sexy, cocktail lounge feel to it.

Oh!, it also came with a bumper sticker that says Bergquist/Detweiler 2008 "If a Song Could Be President." Which is the title of the last song, a folkly number about music and the divisiveness of American politics at the moment. All that said, my two favorite tracks are the opener "I'm Don't Wanna Waste Good Wine (if you won't stick around)" and "Trouble." You can hear both songs via the player on the website OverTheRhine.com go and check it out.

In other news, Caedmon's Call is releasing a new non-worship CD for the first time in 3 years on August 28th Overdressed. They are collaborating with former lead singer Derek Webb for the first time in 5 years, and as in my opinion all of their best songs were either written or sung by Derek, I am quite excited. More later.